CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Listen to Your Husband

Over the past several months Dan has been telling me that I should have this spot looked at.It is on my right upper chest and has been there for who knows how long. Frankly, I have never given it a second thought. Just a blemish to add to all of my other blemishes. Well, I finally went to a dermatologist and had it biopsied-turns out that it was basal cell carcinoma. I was shocked. How could I have skin cancer? She said it is probably from a lot of sun exposure 15-20 years ago. Uh, I grew up on the foggy northern California coast with annual vacations to Bear Lake. I never went to tanning beds either. I have been in shock and kind of bummed out about the whole thing. I love the sun, but now I am paranoid about every spot on my body and getting more cancer.
On Tuesday I went in and had it removed. This was a more extensive procedure than I thought. I now have a 2 inch incision with sutures across my chest. That was not a fun experience. I am glad that it is gone and will be much more vigilant about sun exposure and checking my skin regularly. I guess I should have listened to my husband sooner.

5 comments:

Miranda said...

So sad and scary but I bet you are glad that it is over with now.

Let the Good Times Roll said...

That is scary. My brother had a girlfriend in HS who got really bad skin cancer from one of her moles as well, I have been a bit paranoid about it as well ever since then. I am glad you got it taken care of, and hope you are feeling better!

melanie said...

I can totally understand how you would be paranoid about every spot on your body. I'm covered in freckles and so I have a hard time keeping track of all my moles/freckles. I am constantly making sure none of them are growing or irregular in shape. I'm glad you had it taken care of and that all is well. Keep safe!
We really need to get together sometime.

Jill said...

Hang in there girlfriend! My cell phone dosn't work here. But Miranda is here now, so maybe I can get her to give me some tips

Terri said...

I'm glad the procedure is done and over with. I've been thinking about you this past week.
I loved the sun growing up and worry too about every little spot now.